1. Select 15 other blogs to give the award to. You might have to do some searching, but you can find those blogs. You can’t nominate yourself or the person who nominated you.
2. Make a post to show off your award! Talk about how your blog got started and give some advice to the other bloggers out there. And share the fancy picture!
3. Comment on each blog to let the blogger know that you have nominated them.
4. Link to the original post at Edge of Night that way anyway can find the original guidelines and such.
I love the award pic as well! Okay, so I gotta talk about how this thing started and whatnot? Let’s do this.
How the adventures began
Okay, so this blog started on May 3, 2014, back when I was super happy! And used exclamation points! All the time!
Wow…I actually have a blog! Cool!
This is my happy dance.
I hope that someone(s) actually sees this and it’s not left all alone in the farthest corners of the web. That would be sad.
So, welcome, Earthlings! Hope you like the blog! In it there will be posts on reading, writing, recycling, music, life, and random stuff in my head. I’m just like that. For a more in-depth thingy, go to the About Me page.
Well, yeah! That’s basically it! Adios for now!
Eviline_Lunette, aka Evi
That was my first ever post! I was such a cute little thing XD I guess I was originally planning to blog about recycling…? ¯\_(o.O)_/¯
But yes. Always recycle and try to make the world healthier and greener! ‘Tis important, darlings.
Anyways, the next day I started doing “Song of the Day”s (which are long since extinct) and random thoughts based off of friends. I also drew Robo. REMEBER ROBO?
A-hem. This blog has evolved greatly since then- I’m now way more organized: I schedule things (*gasp*), I participate in [insert thingimabobber here], there are even categories. I know, I know, shocker. My posts are considerably longer as well. I even changed names three times (from “An Effloresce of Thoughts” to “Where Books Never End” to “Adventuring Through Pages”).
Advice to new bloggers
I have a feeling someday I’ll make this into a much longer post- a sort of mastersheet for new bloglings. But so on and so forth:
- Don’t worry too much about making your blog perfect. You’re new- chances are you’ve never had a blog before, and if you did it must not’ve been your favorite if you’re making a new one. Pick a nice, easy theme, one preferably with a left or right sidebar (that thing that holds categories, “who am I”, etc.) as it does make layout easier and cleaner looking. Pick a name- not necessarily something fancy, but you might want to spend some more time on it than the theme as it is a bit of a hassle to have to change it. If your main focus is books, make your title relevant to books. Music? Same thing. Yourself? Ditto. You can always change stuff later. I have changed my theme SO MANY TIMES, guys. Don’t stress. As you and your blog grows, and you become more acquainted with the blogging community, you’ll learn new things. I didn’t discover Canva, which is now one of my favorite sites for picture editing, until a few months ago.
- If you’re making a blog because you follow some bloggers through email or Bloglovin’, that’s great! You have blogs to fill up your reader. If you don’t, WordPress gives you some “recommended blogs” based on what your blog is about, what you’ve read, etc (it’s on the left sidebar on your WordPress reader). Either way, the point here is to follow blogs you like, and comment on them. Like their posts. Make yourself known. Most (honestly, all I’ve met) bloggers are super duper friendly, and will almost always comment back and say hello! I wouldn’t recommend posting a link to your blog with a “hey-can-you-check-out-my-blog” message, because, chances are, they’ll already be clicking on the link to see who this new, sweet person is (we love comments. I hoard them. we all want to know who the fabulous person is who enjoys are posts).
- On writing posts: It takes a long, long, long time to get into your writing stride. I think I’ve really only hit mine this year. Don’t worry too much- try to keep your posts grammatically-correct and error-free- no texting lingo, etc, but GIFs and smiley faces are welcome- but also not to formal. Try to have a conversation with your reader, like you’re directly talking to them. Also, the length of your posts is important as well. Don’t make them so short that there’s not much quality content, and not too long that nobody wants to read it. Mine tend to be around 500-1000 words, I’m assuming, as this post is at 850 words just right now, and it’s one of my longest.
- Mix things up. I’d try to avoid making your blog entirely one subject. If you just want to blog about clothes, that’s great! Just make sure your posts aren’t all the same (i.e. “What I Wore Today” #147) and that every now and then, you spice things up. Do a makeup tutorial, share some of your other interests. Maybe you like to draw as well, share a few fashion sketches!
- Pictures, pictures, pictures. If you’ve been snooping around the blogging community for some time, you know that GIFs (those super-awesome moving pictures? see here for some examples) are EXTREMELY popular. They make for some interesting facial expressions, as you obviously can’t see us, and vice versa. Picture headings for posts (generally a pic of something relevant to the post with the title and your blog url edited onto it- here and here for more examples) are also nice to have- they tend to take a bit more time, but do make for pretty posts.
Yup, I’m definitely going to be making a big post on advice now. XD If any newbies/people wanting to start a blog, I hope this was helpful! Drop me a “hi” in the comments!
As I don’t know exactly who’s gotten this award, I’m not going to “officially” nominate 15 people (phew), but I am going to mention some bloggers: Appletaile and Nirvana and The Writing Hufflepuff and Elm and Chloe (who is currently on blogging hiatus, but you should check her out anyways). They are all fabulous, fabulous people, and along with you looking at their blogs (shamelessfriendpromoting), if they want to do this, I know for a fact that you would all have great advice. Also, it’s an extremely helpful award. *nodnod*
(Also, signatures! Signatures are great! You basically make a picture with a background that’s white or whatever color the back of your post is. *realizes how confusing that sounds* *flaps hand* more to come, more to come.)